Tuesday, 11 August 2015

Week 2 Workshop - Digging through the Trove

This weeks workshop was another chance to explore trove and yet another chance to get astounded and confounded by its enormous scope. I thought trove was already scary but looking through the API and doing some queries things were made a little clearer on how I could retrieve the information I wanted.

However, with each question answered more popped up in the form of definitions and concepts that I was unfamiliar with. Sure I had heard of an API and XML and JSON objects, but what they actually were and how they worked mostly foreign to me still. So after sifting through trove for a little while I jumped onto the w3schools website to read up about XML and JSON to get a better idea of what was actually happening when I made a query. I figured out an API was an application programming interface, but it could not really nail down what exactly that means despite some searching. Hopefully we will go a little bit more into the nitty gritty next week.

While I could use the query systems on the DECO1800 cloud sever, the background of why I had to use that and what is was actually doing is still fuzzy. Perhaps that is enough and will get me through the next few weeks, although on a personal level I love knowing how things work so I might look into it more.

Either way its time to start churning out some actual ideas on how to make Trove data more useful and interesting ways to display the data in a web based application.

No comments:

Post a Comment