Monday, 24 August 2015

Teamwork Module (Week 3)

We would like you to reflect on how you found this teamwork module useful in relation to your team expectations


This module was very similar to the online training programs at my workplace. Working in sales a lot of the content around communication and active listening was more of a revision than any new learning. However, it is always good to have a refresher and to keep all these aspects in mind when jumping into a group situations.

Another take away that I took from the module was the importance of Team roles and setting down expectations when the group forms. I feel that this has been an issue in previous group projects where not all team members had similar expectations which caused conflicts later into the process.


Major Concerns


After our first team meeting I do not really have any major concerns. This is the first time I have worked in a group where people have actually chosen a topic because they were interested in it, rather than being assigned randomly or forming groups with their friends.

I am excited to see how this works out as everyone should have a vested interest in the concept. That being said I am concerned that because the design idea our team was formed around was based on my pitch, that the team would consider me the 'owner'. Making them less likely to contribute ideas or challenge my position on design ideas because I might be offended. However, I am not significantly attached to my topic and am more interested in how others could help me to evolve the concept rather than pursue it alone.

I am also somewhat concerned about the expectations, while I am eager to learn new technologies and expand my understanding. I feel that my concept was definitely ambitious for my current level of skill. But with the help of the team, tutors and online resources I am sure it will be achievable.

How you could avoid them?


Communicate, communicate, communicate. That was one of the biggest takeaways from the training module and something that i need to improve on when working within teams. I feel that this would be the best way to ensure others provide feedback on the concept and take ownership of it themselves.

Effective team meetings are something that I want to try and implement more and more. I feel like these are an excellent way to manage team member expectations, providing everyone with a single purpose and then outcomes that they need to produce.

How you think you can be a good team member?


Contribute to team discussions and provide energy in all aspects of group work. Complete assigned tasks to a high standard and help others with their tasks when asked too. Encourage inputs from all members.

Overall just be a good person ^.^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment