Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Turning up the Heat

This week it was time to really get serious with the Project and kick it into high gear. Time to walk the walk and stop talking about "yeah so its all working we just need to hook it up".

That was the start of this week. What followed were some long nights, intense levels of frustration, vague JavaScript errors (along with the specific ones with no googleable solution >.<).

For my part of the project putting it all together meant that all the JS, JQuery, AJAX code that I had written I now needed to put into other peoples pages and made sure it worked in the environment that it was supposed to. Along with helping out the rest of the team with styling, and other page coding where ever they needed me.

Our end result demo code (live here) shows almost all of the functionality we want to include in our project as a core (CSS and HTML editors not playing together yet). I would have liked the styling to be a little bit more complete and consistent, but the team has identified this as an area we can work on other the break to make sure the prototype is higher fidelity and more easily able to be tested.

The other big hurdle that we are going to run into is our Back end system, which is currently non-existent. This is going to be my major role for the project so I am going to be spending a lot of time looking at this guy:


It is definitely exciting and scary at the same time, seeing as this is my first experience with PHP but it is something that I am really interested in for my later Thesis work. I am planning to make a solid dent on the back end systems over the break so that we can get into more gamification aspects of our project and improve user experience over and above the basic functionality.

Ill let you know how it goes ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment